What caused the electric shock when using your appliance?

On Behalf of | Dec 23, 2022 | Product Liability |

The chances are you use at least one electrical appliance daily, be it a coffee maker, water heater, blender, hair dryer, refrigerator, microwave or pressure cooker. When you purchased any of these products, you expected them to be safe. Of course, the manufacturer has a duty to make and sell safe products.

However, despite observing advisable safety measures, you experienced an electric shock. What could have caused it? It could be any number of things. Let’s look at a few of the most common causes of shock.

Faulty appliance

Before a product is released to the market, a manufacturer should take it through a series of tests to identify any potential problems. If an issue occurs, the product shouldn’t be released until it is safe. Unfortunately, the manufacturing team of a company may ignore a fault or fail to notice it, and the product could end up in your hands.

When an electrical appliance has a fault, an interruption to electric flow may occur. Electrical currents may become unstable. Upon plugging it into an outlet, you may get a shock.

Improper design

The design of an electrical appliance can also trigger an electric shock. Companies need to design their products safely. Factors they should consider are the protective system used, power supply type, voltage level, insulation levels, space between equipment and shields/screens, cable sizing and environmental conditions. Thus, even if the manufacturing process is of quality, if the design process is improper, an appliance may be dangerous.

Product liability cases involving electrical equipment are common. Some companies don’t follow strict measures to protect users of their products. If you experience an electric shock after using an appliance, it’s wise to seek legal guidance so you can make an informed decision about how to proceed.